Homeowners insurance for manufactured homes is an important expense that deserves special consideration when shopping for. It is important because it helps to protect your home and personal property in case of minor or major incidents. It is also occupies a considerable space in your budget and, therefore, is an area in which you can also shave off some expense to save some cash.
Take a moment to understand just what qualifies for a manufactured home, what is covered in homeowners insurance for manufactured homes and a few ways in which you can save money on your homeowners insurance coverage.
What is a Manufactured Home
There is sometimes confusion over the different types of homes, especially between manufactured homes, mobile homes and modular homes. Manufactured homes are what used to be more commonly referred to as mobile homes. Because of the higher quality and increasing options available, mobile homes are becoming more commonly referred to as manufactured homes.
Modular homes are quite different from manufactured or mobile homes. While the component parts of a modular home are built in a factory, the component parts are not put together until they are at the building site. Also, unlike a manufactured home, a modular home is placed upon a permanent foundation and are more similar to a stick-built home in that regard.
What is Covered for Manufactured Homes
You should certainly understand just what you are paying for when you are getting manufactured homeowners insurance. Different homeowners insurance companies will offer different protections under their standard policy, but here are some of the most common occurrences covered by a standard policy.
- Actual burglary/robbery
- Attempted burglary/robbery
- Damage from paint, nail polish, shoe polish, or ink
- Damage from wild/stray animals
- Glass breakage
- Loss of use
- Medical payments
- Personal Liability
There are plenty of other insured incidents in which your homeowners insurance will protect you. Make sure to read the exhaustive list of any prospective policy in order to understand the differences in the policies and just what sort of protection you can expect.
In addition to these standard protections, you may also need to purchase an additional policy for flood, wind, earthquake and/or hail. These additional policies may be necessary depending upon the region in which you live.
Discounts on Insurance for Manufactured Homes
It is always beneficial to save money on anything and that goes for homeowners insurance. It is a necessity, but it does not have to break the bank. A smart consumer will take the time to find all possible discounts on their homeowners insurance for manufactured homes.
To get you started, here are a few ways in which you may receive a discount on your homeowners insurance.
- Evaluate/update systems of your home: Check out your electrical, plumbing and septic systems to see if they are outdated. It may cost you to update them, but you can save money on your homeowners insurance rates and will make your home safer for you and your family.
- Protect your manufactured home: Anything that can help to protect your home against an insurable claim having to be filed can lower your homeowners insurance rates. This means home security systems, more fire alarms, etc.
- Senior citizen discounts: Many homeowners insurance companies will offer discounts for more mature customers. This is because they have been shown, in general, to take better care of their homes and not have the need to file as many claims against their manufactured home insurance.
Don’t forget that you can always contact your homeowners insurance company to get a full listing of the discounts available, and your agent can help you to understand which discounts you may qualify for.
Get Homeowners Insurance Quotes for Your Manufactured Home
Whether you are looking for homeowners insurance for your newly purchased manufactured home or are looking for a different homeowners insurance company for your current home, you can use the internet to get homeowners insurance rate quotes. It is a quick and efficient way to compare companies and policies and learn which is the best for you.
You can use our homeowners insurance rate finder tool to gather quotes from many different homeowners insurance companies and use the information to make an informed, smart decision that will save you money and get you the protection you need.